•  What are the deadlines to apply?

  • After I submit my application, what is the deadline to submit all my supporting documents?

For January admissions, applications must be completed by July 15th

For September admissions, applications must be completed by February 15th 

  • What are your academic admissions requirements?

We require a 4 year bachelor degree in Civil Engineering with a minimum overall average in the B+ range (76% at UBC) in third and fourth-year courses or an academic standing with at least 12 credits of third or fourth-year courses in the A grade range (80% or higher at UBC) in the field of study. If you are an international student you can check your country’s equivalent minimum average here

No, if you are a UBC student, we can access your transcripts and add them to your file.

  • Do I need to contact and find a supervisor before I apply for MASc/PhD?

It is not necessary to contact a supervisor before submitting an application. Supervisors will be determined after an offer of admission is recommended.

  • What if I do not meet the minimum requirements?

If you do not meet the minimum requirements you are still welcome to apply however your chances of admission would be reduced.

  • When do I submit my official transcripts/IELTS?

We only require you to submit official hard copies of transcripts and or your IELTS if you have been recommended for admission to the program. If you are recommended you will receive an email from the department requesting your official documents. All the details you need, mailing address etc. will be contained in the email. 

  • Do I need to provide an IELTS/TOEFL?

For applicants whose degrees are from countries other than Australia, Botswana, Canada, Ireland, Kenya, New Zealand, South Africa, UK, USA, Zaire, Zimbabwe and the English speaking countries of the West Indies, you are required to submit an official English language test score. The Department will not accept letters from granting institutions stating that the medium of instruction is English. Score reports more than two years old will not be accepted.

  • My undergraduate degree was taught in English; do I still need to provide a TOEFL/IELTS?

If your transcripts state that the medium of instruction was English then you do not need to provide the results of an English proficiency exam. We do not accept separate letters from your university stating the medium of instruction is English.

  •  I will not receive my IELTS/TOEFL score until after the deadline date closes, can I upload it at a later date?

Once the deadline date has passed you will not be able to upload any more documents. All supporting PDF’s must be uploaded before the deadline. 

  • I meet all the requirements in the IELTS except in one section, does this mean I will not get admitted?

For the TOEFL iBT we require a minimum score of 100 with nothing less than 23 per individual test. For the IELTS we require a minimum score of 7 with nothing less than 6.5 per individual test. If you do not meet the minimum in one of these tests and a supervisor wishes to take you on, he or she will be required to provide the faculty of graduate and postdoctoral studies with a rationale letter to explain why your English is actually better than the test result. This rationale may not get accepted.   

  • How do I apply for funding/scholarships/TAships/RAships?

Funding is circumstantial depending on your specialization and will be determined after you are admitted. Once admitted into the program you will have the opportunity to apply for the following:

     - Teaching Assistants

     - Markers

     - Graduate Research Assistant

     - Scholarships

  •  Can I apply directly to the Ph.D from my bachelor degree?

If you do not already have a master’s degree, we would require that you apply for our MASc program. Once you are admitted to this program, it is possible to switch to the PhD programwith the support of your supervisor.

  • I want to apply for the Phd program however my undergraduate degree does not meet the minimum GPA requirements but my masters does, can I still apply?

Yes, you are eligible to apply as we only look at the GPA from your Masters.

  •  My undergraduate degree is not in Civil Engineering, can I still apply?

Normally we admit students who have engineering undergraduate degrees. However, we consider applications on a case by case basis. We will look at your proposed area of study (Structures, Project mgmt., Hydrotech, ect.) and your academic history, and the Admission Committee will decide whether you have a satisfactory background for the program.

  • My degree hasn’t been conferred yet because I am still attending university, but I plan on finishing soon. Can I still apply?

Yes, you are welcome to apply and if you are successful in your application and recommended for admission, you will receive a conditional offer letter until you submit two copies of urofficial completed transcripts.

  • I applied to UBC  Okanagan, can I use the same application for UBC Vancouver?

         No, UBC Vancouver and UBC Okanagan are two completely different applications. If you wish to apply to both, you have to submit two applications and pay two application fees.

  • When will I hear a decision on my application?

This varies by area of specialization, and is affected by the volume of applications received. Some early offers of admission are sent out in February; however, the majority of offers normally come in the following months after the deadline of February 15th. We generally advise applicants to expect a response by April, although decisions continue to be made after this date.

  • If I apply to the Masc. program and do not get admission, will my application be considered for the MEng program?

 No, if you wish to be considered for both programs you need to apply for both programs, this includes two separate

 applications and two application fees.

For more FAQ's please visit the graduate and postdoctoral website here