I joined UBC in 2017, with a joint appointment in the Department of Civil Engineering and the Department of Mechanical Engineering. I received my D.Sc. (Tech.) from Aalto University in Finland and my M.Sc. (Naval Arch.) from the University of Rijeka in Croatia. My research focuses on development and application of computational methods for structural analysis and optimization, applied to primarily lightweight structural forms while investigating their mechanical response.
Beams, plates and shells, finite element analysis, machine learning and optimization, efficient structural forms
Awards & Recognitions
- NSERC/Seaspan Industrial Research Chair in Intelligent and Green Marine Vessels (IGMVs), 2020
Student Research Opportunities
- A. Babaee and Jelovica, J., “Nonlinear transient thermoelastic response of FGM plate under sudden cryogenic cooling”, Ocean Engineering, vol. 226, p. 108875, 2021.
- T. Putranto, Körgesaar, M., Jelovica, J., Tabri, K., and Naar, H., “Ultimate strength assessment of stiffened panel under uni-axial compression with non-linear equivalent single layer approach”, Marine Structures, vol. 78, p. 103004, 2021.
- F. Samanipour and Jelovica, J., “Adaptive repair method for constraint handling in multi-objective genetic algorithm based on relationship between constraints and variables”, Applied Soft Computing, vol. 90, p. 106143, 2020.
- H. Remes, Gallo, P., Jelovica, J., Romanoff, J., and Lehto, P., “Fatigue strength modelling of high-performing welded joints”, International Journal of Fatigue, vol. 135, p. 105555, 2020.
- J. Romanoff, Remes, H., Varsta, P., Goncalves, B. Reinaldo, örgesaar, M., äe-Avi, I., Jelovica, J., and Liinalampi, S., “Limit State Analyses in Design of Thin-Walled Marine Structures: Some Aspects on Length-Scales”, Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, vol. 11B, 2020.
- M. M. Keleshteri and Jelovica, J., “Nonlinear vibration behavior of functionally graded porous cylindrical panels”, Composite Structures, vol. 239, p. 112028, 2020.
- J. Romanoff, Jelovica, J., Reddy, J. N., and Remes, H., “Post-buckling of web-core sandwich plates based on classical continuum mechanics: success and needs for non-classical formulations”, Meccanica, vol. 56, 2020.
- J. Jelovica and Romanoff, J., “Buckling of sandwich panels with transversely flexible core: Correction of the equivalent single-layer model using thick-faces effect”, Journal of Sandwich Structures and Materials, 2018.
- M. Sidari, Andric, J., Jelovica, J., Underwood, J. M., and Ringsberg, J. W., “Influence of different wave load schematisation on global ship structural response”, Ships and Offshore Structures, 2018.
- A. T. Karttunen, Kanerva, M., Frank, D., Romanoff, J., Remes, H., Jelovica, J., Bossuyt, S., and Sarlin, E., “Fatigue strength of laser-welded foam-filled steel sandwich beams”, Materials and Design, vol. 115, pp. 64-72, 2017.
- J. Jelovica, Romanoff, J., and Klein, R., “Eigenfrequency analyses of laser-welded web-core sandwich panels.”, Thin-Walled Structures, vol. 101, pp. 120-126, 2016.
- R. B Goncalves, Jelovica, J., and Romanoff, J., “A homogenization method for geometric nonlinear analysis of sandwich structures with initial imperfections.”, International Journal of Solids and Structures, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 194 – 205, 2016.
- J. Jelovica and Romanoff, J., “Influence of shear-induced secondary bending on buckling of web-core sandwich panels.”, in Proc. 5th MARSTRUCT conference, Southampton, UK, 2015.
- J. Romanoff, Reddy, J. N., and Jelovica, J., “Using non-local Timoshenko beam theories for prediction of micro- and macro-structural responses.”, Composite Structures, vol. 156, pp. 410-420, 2015.
- J. Jelovica and Romanoff, J., “Global buckling and post-buckling of web-core sandwich and stiffened panels: sensitivity to general corrosion.”, in Proc. 7th International Conference on Thin-Walled Structures, Busan, S. Korea, 2014.
- J. Jelovica, Romanoff, J., and Remes, H., “Influence of general corrosion on buckling strength of laser-welded web-core sandwich plates.”, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, vol. 101, pp. 342-350, 2014.
- J. Jelovica and Romanoff, J., “Comparison of load-carrying behavior between web-core sandwich, stiffened and isotropic plate.”, in Proc. 4th MARSTRUCT conference, Espoo, Finland, 2013.
- J. Jelovica and Romanoff, J., “Load-carrying behavior of web-core sandwich plates in compression.”, Thin-Walled Structures, vol. 73, pp. 264-272, 2013.
- J. Jelovica, Romanoff, J., Ehlers, S., and Aromaa, J., “Ultimate strength of corroded web-core sandwich beams.”, Marine Structures, vol. 31, pp. 1-14, 2013.
- J. Jelovica, Romanoff, J., S, E., and P, V., “Influence of weld stiffness on buckling strength of laser-welded web-core sandwich plates.”, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, vol. 77, pp. 12-18, 2012.
- J. Jelovica, Romanoff, J., Ehlers, S., and Aromaa, J., “Experimental investigation on ultimate strength of corroded web-core sandwich panel stripes.”, in 18th International Conference on Composite Materials (ICCM 18), S. Korea, 2011.
- J. Jelovica and Klanac, A., “Multi-objective optimization of ship structures: using guided search vs. conventional concurrent optimization.”, Guedes Soares C., Das P.K. (Eds): Analysis and Design of Marine Structures. CRC Press, pp. 447-456, 2009.
- A. Klanac, Ehlers, S., and Jelovica, J., “Optimization of crashworthy marine structures.”, Marine Structures, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 670-690, 2009.
- A. Klanac and Jelovica, J., “Vectorization and constraint grouping to enhance optimization of marine structures.”, Marine Structures, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 225-245, 2009.
For a full list of my publications, visit my profile on: