Dr. Trevor Carey joined the department of Civil Engineering as an assistant professor in July of 2021. Dr. Carey obtained his Ph.D. in Civil and Environmental Engineering from the University of California Davis (UC Davis) in 2019. Prior to UC Davis, Dr. Carey attended Oregon State University, obtaining a B.S and M.S (structures) degree in Civil Engineering in 2012 and 2014. Following his Ph.D., Dr. Carey was a postdoctoral scholar at UC Davis investigating the effects of sand gradation on the response of embankment systems during liquefaction.
Dr. Carey’s research interests are in the area of physical and numerical modeling of system-level responses of geosystems during strong shaking and liquefaction; to provide analysis and design tools that enable practitioners to mitigate societal and economic impacts from critical infrastructure failures during earthquakes. The investigation of system-level behaviors leverages and combines results from laboratory element testing and numerical parametric studies to develop physical models of a system.
Dr. Carey was the recipient of the 2018-2019 EERI/FEMA NEHRP Graduate Fellowship; and the UC Davis’ I. M. Idriss Award for Excellence in Geotechnical Engineering in 2019. He is a member of the Canadian Geotechnical Society (CGS), the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), and the Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI).
Geotechnical earthquake engineering, static and dynamic liquefaction and its effects on geosystems, laboratory testing of soils, development of numerical tools, case-history based approaches for developing knowledge
CIVL 311 Soil Mechanics II
CIVL 574 Experimental Soil Mechanics
Student Research Opportunities
Thank you for your interest in joining my research team.
I am always looking to add new team members that come from diverse backgrounds and have a strong interest in geotechnical and earthquake engineering.
A successful applicant must demonstrate:
Please see the department website at (https://www.civil.ubc.ca/admissions/graduate-admissions) for additional information including application deadlines and minimum requirements for admission.
If you would like to join the research team and meet both the department and the requirements outlined above, please contact me (Dr. Trevor Carey) by email with the subject line of “Carey Research Group – [Your Surname]”.
- B. L. Kutter, Manzari, M. T., Zeghal, M., Arduino, P., Barrero, A., Carey, T. J., Chen, L., Elgamal, A., Ghofrani, A., Montgomery, J., Ozutsumi, O., Qiu, Z., Taiebat, M., Tobita, T., Travasarou, T., Tsiaousi, D., Ueda, K., Ugalde, J., Wada, T., Yang, M., Zheng, B. – L., and Ziotopoulou, K., “Numerical sensitivity study compared to trend of experiments for LEAP-UCD-2017”, in Model Tests and Numerical Simulations of Liquefaction and Lateral Spreading, B. Kutter, Manzari, M., and Zeghal, M. Cham, Switzerland: Springer, 2020, pp. 219-236.
- T. J. Carey, Gavras, A., and Kutter, B. L., Model Tests and Numerical Simulations of Liquefaction and Lateral SpreadingComparison of LEAP-UCD-2017 CPT Results. Cham: Springer International Publishing, 2019, pp. 117 – 129.
- T. J. Carey, Stone, N., Bonab, M. Hajialilue, and Kutter, B. L., Model Tests and Numerical Simulations of Liquefaction and Lateral SpreadingLEAP-UCD-2017 Centrifuge Test at University of California, Davis. Cham: Springer International Publishing, 2019, pp. 255 – 276.
- B. L. Kutter, Carey, T. J., Stone, N., Zheng, B. Li, Gavras, A., Manzari, M. T., Zeghal, M., Abdoun, T., Korre, E., Escoffier, S., Haigh, S. K., Madabhushi, G. S. P., Madabhushi, S. S. C., Hung, W. – Y., Liao, T. – W., Kim, D. – S., Kim, S. – N., Ha, J. – G., Kim, N. Ryong, Okamura, M., Sjafruddin, A. Nurani, Tobita, T., Ueda, K., Vargas, R., Zhou, Y. – G., and Liu, K., Model Tests and Numerical Simulations of Liquefaction and Lateral Spreading LEAP-UCD-2017 Comparison of Centrifuge Test Results. Cham: Springer International Publishing, 2019, pp. 69 – 103.
- T. J. Carey, H. Mason, B., Barbosa, A. R., and Scott, M. H., “Multihazard Earthquake and Tsunami Effects on Soil–Foundation–Bridge Systems”, Journal of Bridge Engineering, vol. 24, no. 4, 2019.
- T. J. Carey, Hashimoto, T., Cimini, D., and Kutter, B. L., “LEAP-GWU-2015 centrifuge test at UC Davis”, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, vol. 113, no. 31, pp. 663 – 670, 2018.
- B. L. Kutter, Carey, T. J., Hashimoto, T., Zeghal, M., Abdoun, T., Kokkali, P., Madabhushi, G., Haigh, S. K., d’Arezzo, F. Burali, Madabhushi, S., Hung, W. – Y., Lee, C. – J., Cheng, H. – C., Iai, S., Tobita, T., Ashino, T., Ren, J., Zhou, Y. – G., Chen, Y. – M., Sun, Z. – B., and Manzari, M. T., “LEAP-GWU-2015 experiment specifications, results, and comparisons”, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, vol. 113, pp. 616 – 628, 2018.
- B. L. Kutter, Carey, T. J., Zheng, B. Li, Gavras, A., Stone, N., Zeghal, M., Abdoun, T., Korre, E., Manzari, M., Madabhushi, G. S. P., Haigh, S., Madabhushi, S. S. C., Okamura, M., Sjafuddin, A. Nurani, Escoffier, S., Kim, D. – S., Kim, S. – N., Ha, J. – G., Tobita, T., Yatsugi, H., Ueda, K., Vargas, R. R., Hung, W. – Y., Liao, T. – W., Zhou, Y. – G., and Liu, K., “Twenty-Four Centrifuge Tests to Quantify Sensitivity of Lateral Spreading to Dr and PGA”, in Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering and Soil Dynamics V, Austin, Texas, Reston, VA, 2018.