Undergraduate Admissions

The Bachelor of Applied Science (B.A.Sc.) in Civil Engineering is a second-year entry program. Admission requires completion of a general first-year engineering program at UBC or another post-secondary institution.

Entry into the Civil Engineering program at UBC is highly competitive and students are admitted through a broad-based admission process. In addition to strong academic performance, we also encourage prospective students to demonstrate involvement in UBC’s Engineering community by actively participating in a student club or team during their first year.

First year

Prospective Civil Engineering students should be aware that the Department has an enrolment limit as we receive more applications each year than we can accommodate.

Note that the GPA cut-off for admission into the program varies each year based on the applicant pool and the Department does not have a set minimum.

For details about admissions to UBC Engineering, go here.

Second year

After completing your first year in Engineering at UBC, you will be placed in discipline specific programs for the remainder of your studies. Please go here for more information.

Camosun Bridge Program

Individuals who hold Diplomas in Civil Engineering Technology from an accredited Canadian technical college can gain admission into the third year of the B.A.Sc. in Civil Engineering program after completing a six-month “bridge” program at Camosun College in Victoria, BC. More information on the program can be found on the Camosun College website.

Visiting Research Students

Once a year the Department of Civil Engineering welcomes visiting students from other universities or institutes. Visiting students must be registered at UBC as a Visiting International Research Student (VIRS). A Visiting International Research Student (VIRS) is an international student who is enrolled in an undergraduate, graduate, or graduate-equivalent program at another university, or is a participant in a UBC-recognized (through Go Global) “bridging” program between undergrad and graduate studies.

Eligibility for Admissions

  • A plan to conduct research only at UBC for one month or longer (maximum 12-months)
  • Home supervisor approval of research activity at UBC
  • Host UBC supervisor approval (UBC faculty member who has agreed to act as supervisor through research period at UBC)
  • Prior approval of the home university or sponsoring program
  • Prior approval of the UBC Department Head for the unit or laboratory with which the visiting research student will be affiliated.

For more information please visit: Go Global – Visiting International Research Student (VIRS)