Communication Skills Module
CIVL 201 begins with a two-week Communications Skills Module each August prior to the start of Term 1. Attendance is mandatory unless you are exempt (see below). If you do not attend the module you will be de-registered from both CIVL 201 and CIVL 203.
You will be contacted in early August to confirm whether you must complete the Communication Skills Module or whether you are exempt. Please see details about exemptions below.
Exemptions from Module
You are exempt from the Communication Skills Module if you have obtained:
- A final grade of 68% or higher in WRDS 150 or in equivalent course (ENGL 110, ENGL 111, ENGL 120, ENGL 121, or APSC 176);
- A final grade of 68% or higher or a final letter grade of B- or higher from a course outside UBC that provides transfer credits for WRDS 150 or equivalent;
- A transfer credit for WRDS 150 or equivalent on the basis of an Advanced Placement or an International Baccalaureate program
If you intend to complete the WRDS 150 requirement in the second term of the summer session, you are NOT exempt and will be asked to participate in the module, at least until your mark is known.
The module prepares students for effective participation in CIVL 201 by developing the following skills:
- Writing – the ability to write effectively, reflecting grammatical accuracy, organization, style and relevant content coverage
- Reading, listening and comprehension – the ability to comprehend written and oral content and follow instructions with precision
- Oral presentation – the ability to deliver an effective oral presentation
- Conversation – the ability to converse actively and effectively in different settings
Grades for this module will contribute 10% of your final grade for CIVL 201. (Students who are exempt will be assigned the full 10% grade.) Any student who receives a grade of less than 50% in this module will be assigned additional work during the remaining part of the course.
If you have any questions, please contact the module instructor, Hartaj Sanghara (email@example.com).