Nemkumar (Nemy) Banthia is a distinguished Professor and Senior Canada Research Chair at the University of British Columbia. His primary area of research is in Sustainable Concrete Infrastructure with emphasis on nano-modified fiber reinforced composites, ultra-high performance concrete materials, waste recycling, fracture analysis, earthquake strengthening and sensor based structural health monitoring. He also leads the India-Canada Centre for Innovative Multidisciplinary Partnerships to Accelerate Community Transformation and Sustainability (IC-IMPACTS)—a Research Centre of Excellence—as its Scientific Director and CEO.
One of the most cited in the field of concrete materials and structures, Dr. Banthia has worked tirelessly to understand the performance of concrete structures under various conditions of loading and environment, developed numerous advanced ultra-high performance concrete materials with fiber reinforcement, devised innovative methods of laboratory and field testing and developed novel sensors for structural health monitoring. Dr. Banthia holds 9 patents, has published over 450 refereed papers and edited 20 volumes. He serves on the Editorial Boards of ten international journals and is the Editor-in-Chief of the J. of Cement and Concrete Composites—a journal with the highest Impact Factor in the field.
His awards include Wason Medal of American Concrete Institute, Solutions Through Research Award of the BC Innovation Council, Wolfson Merit Award of the Royal Society of the UK, Killam Faculty Research Prize from the Killam Foundation, Horst Leipholz Medal of the Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, Mufti Medal of Excellence of the International Society for Health Monitoring of Infrastructure (ISHMII) and the Leadership in Science and Technology Award of the Drishti Foundation. Recently, Dr. Banthia has been recognized by the Alumni UBC 2018 Achievement Awards selection committee as the distinguished recipient of the Global Citizenship Award. This award is given to a UBC alumnus/alumna in recognition of significant community or voluntary service which has gained international recognition and made a global difference. In 2018, Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technolgy recognized him with Excellence in Technology and Innovation Award. More recently, in 2020, IIT-Delhi recognized him with a Distinguished Alumni Award for Contributions to Teaching and Researech.
Dr. Banthia is the fellow of the American Concrete Institute, Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, Indian Concrete Institute, Canadian Academy of Engineering (CAE), Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE), and the Royal Society of Canada.
In the context of IC-IMPACTS, Dr. Banthia believes that the most effective way of improving lives of global citizens is through nationally supported research collaboration in science and technology. Through his leadership, IC-IMPACTS has demonstrated that such a collaboration brings about innovations that transform lives. Supported by both Indian and Canadian Governments, the $60 million Center is involved in applied research with India in Water, Infrastructure and Public Health and is dedicated to bringing advanced technologies to communities in Canada and India. Its long-lasting impact is already been felt through its numerous demonstrations projects in Indian and Canadian communities. In 2016, Dr. Banthia’s work in India was awarded the Global CSR Medal of Leadership and Excellence.
For more information about Dr. Banthia and his research please see the following:
PDF icon Awards
SIERA (Sustainable InfrastructurE ReseArch)
Materials science, concrete; FRPs, shotcrete, fiber composites, 3D printing, carbon-neutrality, rehabilitation, sensors, self-healing materials, biomimicry
Awards & Recognitions
- 2020, Special Award for Strengthening Canada-India Bond through Science, Drishti Awards Gala
- 2020, Elected Fellow, Indian Academy of Engineering
- 2020, Alumni Distinguished Award for Contributions to Teaching and Research, IIT-Delhi
- 2019, Best Paper Award, 9th International Conference on Concrete Under Severe Conditions
- 2019, Finalist, 2019 Katerva Awards in the Materials, Resources and Water Category for a Sustainable Innovation
- 2019, Excellence in Technology and Innovation Award, VNIT Alumni Awards
- 2018, Discovery Accelerator Supplement, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
- 2018, Recognition of service to the concrete industry and to the India Chapter of ACI, 3rd Raikar Memorial International Conference & Gettu-Kodur International Symposium
- 2018, Global Citizenship Award, Alumni UBC 2018 Achievement Awards
- 2017, Global Nagpur Awards in Science and Technology, Global Nagpur Summit
- 2017, Industry Marvel Award, DARPAN Magazine
- 2017, World CSR Excellence Award, Global CSR Foundation
- 2015, Drishti Award for Innovations in Science and Technology, Drishti Magazine
- 2015, Special Commemorative Conference organized by American Concrete Institute to honor N. Banthia
- 2015, Best Paper Award, International Journal of Civil Structural Health Monitoring
- 2013, Aftab Mufti Medal, International Society for Structural Health Monitoring of Intelligent Infrastructure
- 2008-2012, Discovery Accelerator Supplement, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
- 2012, Horst Leipholz Medal, Canadian Society for Civil Engineering
- 2012, Killam Faculty Research Prize, University of British Columbia
- 2011, Elected Fellow, Royal Society of Canada
- 2011, Wolfson Merit Award, Royal Society of the United Kingdom
- 2008, Finalist for UBC President’s Award for Public Education through Media, University of British Columbia
- 2007, Special Session organized to honor of N. Banthia, International Conference on Sustainable Construction Materials and Technologies
- 2006, Appointed Tier 1 Canada Research Chair in Infrastructure Rehabilitation & Sustainability, Government of Canada
- 2006, Elected Fellow, Canadian Society for Civil Engineering
- 2004, Distinguished Researcher Award, Seoul National University and Korean Concrete Institute
- 2004, Elected Fellow, Indian Concrete Institute
- 2004, Faculty Recognition Award, UBC Engineering Co-op Program
- 2004, British Columbia’s Top 25 Innovators, Business in BC Magazine,
- 2004, Elected Fellow, Canadian Academy of Engineering
- 2003, Solutions through Research Award, Innovation & Science Council of BC
- 2003, Appointed Distinguished University Scholar, University of British Columbia
- 2003, Elected Fellow, American Concrete Institute
- 2002, Frontiers in Science Award, BC Science Council
- 2001, Structural Engineering Research Award, American Concrete Institute
- 2001, Earth Science Systems Research Award, American Society of Civil Engineers’ Ninth International Conference on Structural Faults and Repairs
- 2001, Nominated for Synergy Award, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council
- 2000, Best Paper Award, ASCE’s Journal of Composites in Construction
- 1998-1999, Visiting Foreign Specialist Award, Science and Technology Agency Japan
- 1997, Wason Medal for Meritorious Materials Research, American Concrete Institute International
- 1996-1997, Visiting Fellowship, Science and Technology Agency Japan
- 1993-1994, Research Award for Foreign Specialists, Hokkaido Development Bureau Japan
- C. Liu, Wanga, X., Chena, Y., Zhang, Y., Pan, J., and Banthia, N., “Influence of Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose and Silica Fume on Stability, Rheological Properties, and Printability of 3D Printing Foam Concrete”, Cement and Concrete Composites, In Press.
- N. Banthia and Onuaguluchi, O., “Recycling Scrap Tire-Derived Fibers in Concrete”, Transactions of Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE), In Press.
- J. Kim, Yoo, D. Y., and Banthia, N., “Benefits of Curvilinear Straight Steel Fibres on The Rate-Dependent Pullout Resistance of Ultra-High-Performance Concrete”, Cement and Concrete Composites, vol. 118, 2021.
- T. Oh, You, I., Yoo, D. Y., and Banthia, N., “Deposition of Nanosilica on Fiber Surface for Improving Interfacial Bond and Tensile Performances of Ultra-High-Performance Fiber-Reinforced Concrete”, Composites Part B, vol. 221, 2021.
- P. Chindaprasirt, Sukontasukkul, P., Techaphatthanakon, A., Yoo, D. Y., and Banthia, N., “Effect of Graphene Oxide on Single Fiber Pullout Behavior”, Construction and Building Materials, vol. 280, 2021.
- A. Choudhary, Onuaguluchi, O., and Banthia, N., “Exogenous Healing in Concrete with pH-Sustained Internal Carbonation”, Cement and Concrete Composites, vol. 123, 2021.
- C. Zhang, Nerella, V. N., Krishna, A., Mechtcherine, V., and Banthia, N., “Mix design concepts for 3D printable concrete: A review”, Cement and Concrete Composites, vol. 122, 2021.
- D. Y. Yoo, Banthia, N., and Chun, B., “Achieving slip-hardening behavior of sanded straight steel fibers in ultra-high-performance concrete”, Cement and Concrete Composites, vol. 113, 2020.
- O. Onuaguluchi and Banthia, N., “Alkali-silica reaction resistance of cementitious material containing CaCl2-blended acrylic polymer emulsion”, Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, vol. 32, no. 3, 2020.
- D. Y. Yoo, Shin, W., Chun, B., and Banthia, N., “Assessment of Steel Fiber Corrosion in Self-Healed Ultra-High-Performance Fiber-Reinforced Concrete and its Effect on Tensile Performance”, Cement and Concrete Composites, vol. 113, 2020.
- M. Farooq and Banthia, N., “Bond-Slip Mechanisms of FRP Fibers Embedded in Cementitious Matrix”, ACI Materials Journal, vol. 118, no. 1, 2020.
- P. Sukontasukkul, Chindaprasirt, P., Pongsopha, P., Phoo-Ngernkham, T., Tangchirapat, W., and Banthia, N., “Effect of Fly Ash/Silica Fume Ratio and Curing Condition on Mechanical Properties of Fiber-Reinforced Geopolymer”, Sustainable Cement-Based Materials, vol. 9, no. 4, 2020.
- C. Qian, Banthia, N., Yang, Z., and Jiang, Z., “Experimental Investigation on Distribution of Temperature Field in Hardened Cement Paste at Cryogenic Temperatures”, in 7th International Colloquium on Performance, Protections & Strengthening of Structures, Under Extreme Loading & Events (Protect 2019), 2020.
- B. Huo, Li, B., Huang, S., Chen, C., Zhang, Y., and Banthia, N., “Hydration and Soundness Properties of Phosphoric Acid Modified Steel Slag Powder”, Construction and Building Materials, vol. 254, 2020.
- Y. Zhang, Cao, R., Zhang, S., Banthia, N., and Zhang, Z., “Interpreting the Early-age Reaction Process of Alkali-activated Slag by Using Combined Embedded Ultrasonic Measurement, Thermal analysis, XRD, FTIR and SEM”, Composites, Part B: Engineering, vol. 186, 2020.
- R. Cao, Jia, Z., Zhang, Y., and Banthia, N., “Leaching Kinetics and Reactivity Evaluation of Ferronickel Slag in Alkaline Conditions”, Cement and Concrete Research, vol. 113, 2020.
- K. Tamanna, Tiznobaik, M., Banthia, N., and Shahria, A. M., “Mechanical Properties of Rubberized Concrete Containing Recycled Concrete Aggregate”, American Concrete Institute Materials Journal, vol. 117, no. 2, 2020.
- S. Soleimani-Dashtaki, Ventura, V., Banthia, N., Hosseini, M., Soleimani, S., and White, T., “Out-of-Plane Behavior of URM Walls Sprayed with Ecofriendly Ductile Cementitious Composite (EDCC)”, in 17th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering (17WCEE), 2020.
- N. Banthia, Takewaka, K., Miao, C., and Hamada, H., Proceedings of ConMat’20: Advances in Construction Materials. Fukuoka, Japan, 2020.
- B. Goffin, Banthia, N., and Yonemitsu, N., “Use of Infrared Thermal Imaging to Detect Corrosion of Epoxy Coated and Uncoated Rebar in Concrete”, Construction and Building Materials, vol. 263, 2020.
- Q. Wang, Banthia, N., Sun, W., and Gu, C., “Water Permeability of Eco-Friendly Fiber Reinforced Ductile Cementitious Composites (EDCC) under an Applied Compressive Stress”, Cement and Concrete Composites, vol. 107, 2020.
- N. Roghanian and Banthia, N., “Development of a sustainable coating and repair material to prevent bio-corrosion in concrete sewer and waste-water pipes”, Cement and Concrete Composites, vol. 100, pp. 99 – 107, 2019.
- B. Maho, Sukontasukkul, P., Jamnam, S., Yamaguchi, E., Fujikake, K., and Banthia, N., “Effect of rubber insertion on impact behavior of multilayer steel fiber reinforced concrete bulletproof panel”, Construction and Building Materials, vol. 216, pp. 476 – 484, 2019.
- N. Roghanian and Banthia, N., “Evaluation of Geopolymer Coatings for Rehabilitation of Deteriorated Concrete Sewage Pipes”, in CONSEC 2019: 9th International Conference on Concrete Under Severe Conditions – Environment & Loading, 2019.
- D. Y. Yoo, Banthia, N., Fujikake, K., Kim, Y. H., and Gupta, R., “Fiber-Reinforced Cement Composites: Mechanical Properties and Structural Implications 2019”, Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 2019, 2019.