Awards & Funding

Civil Engineering Awards & Scholarships

Civil Engineering students will be considered for a variety of awards and scholarships each year. Students are assessed on criteria specific to each award, but recipients are often selected based on:

  1. Top academic averages in the program
  2. Activities demonstrating leadership
  3. Community service

Applications are not necessary. You will be informed by the Department if you are being nominated for an award and if further documentation is required to support that nomination. For more information, visit UBC Scholarships & Awards. Additional information about the Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRAs) can also be found on the UBC Engineering Academic Services Professional Development page.

Funding & Employment Opportunities

The Department of Civil Engineering is committed to supporting research by undergraduate students in all academic disciplines. A number of resources are available to support student research and related opportunities.

Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)

Would you like to get some research experience in an academic setting? If you are an undergraduate student with an interest in working on research and development projects at a university, you may be eligible to apply for an Undergraduate Student Research Award (USRA). The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) subsidizes eligible professors to hire students on their research projects, thereby creating interesting research-related jobs and giving you the opportunity to gain valuable work experience.

We are now accepting applications for 2024 NSERC USRA Research Awards.

For information about undergraduate student research awards, and the application process, please review the below:

All applications must be submitted electronically to NSERC, including the upload of transcripts.

NOTE: Please submit your applications by February 28, 2024 to be processed.

Application packages must include the following:

  • Copy of your official transcript
  • Copy of your FORM 202 (Parts I and II)
  • One-page personal statement including:
    • Learning goals
    • Research interests
    • Relevant training/experience

Applications can be submitted electronically as a PDF addressed to:, or dropped off in a hard copy format to our main office during regular business hours.