Dr. Rachel Scholes (she/her) is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of British Columbia. Her research focuses on protecting human and environmental health by addressing contaminants of concern in urban water systems. In particular, she investigates occurrence and transformations of trace contaminants with the aim of optimizing contaminant removal in engineered and nature-based treatment systems.
Dr. Scholes earned an MS and PhD in Environmental Engineering from the University of California, Berkeley, and a B.S. in Chemical Engineering from Northwestern University.
Environmental chemistry, trace contaminants, water reuse, nature-based treatment systems, stormwater treatment
ENVE 301 Environmental Engineering Intermediate Design Project
CIVL 562 Environmental Data Collection and Analysis
Student Research Opportunities
Thank you for your interest in our research team. Please visit www.scholeslab.org for more information about our research and how to apply to join our team.
- R. C. Scholes, Stiegler, A. N., Anderson, C. M., and Sedlak, D. L., “Enabling Water Reuse by Treatment of Reverse Osmosis Concentrate: The Promise of Constructed Wetlands”, ACS Environmental Au, 2021.
- R. C. Scholes, Vega, M. A., Sharp, J. O., and Sedlak, D. L., “Nitrate removal from reverse osmosis concentrate in pilot-scale open-water unit process wetlands”, Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, no. 3, pp. 650 – 661, 2021.
- R. C. Scholes, King, J. F., Mitch, W. A., and Sedlak, D. L., “Transformation of Trace Organic Contaminants from Reverse Osmosis Concentrate by Open-Water Unit-Process Wetlands with and without Ozone Pretreatment”, Environmental Science & Technology, vol. 54, no. 24, pp. 16176 – 16185, 2020.
- R. C. Scholes, Prasse, C., and Sedlak, D. L., “The Role of Reactive Nitrogen Species in Sensitized Photolysis of Wastewater-Derived Trace Organic Contaminants”, Environmental Science & Technology, vol. 53, no. 11, pp. 6483 – 6491, 2019.
- R. C. Scholes, Hageman, K. J., Closs, G. P., Stirling, C. H., Reid, M. R., Gabrielsson, R., and Augspurger, J. M., “Predictors of pesticide concentrations in freshwater trout – The role of life history”, Environmental Pollution, vol. 219, pp. 253 – 261, 2016.