Dr. Hall obtained his B.Sc. and M.Sc. degrees in Biochemistry from McMaster University in 1972 and 1974. He then pursued studies in the Water Research Group at McMaster, where he received a Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering in 1981. In 1979, he joined Environment Canada’s Wastewater Technology Centre, where he worked as a senior process engineer and a part-time Associate Professor of Civil Engineering at McMaster University. In 1992, he came to the Department of Civil Engineering at UBC as Senior NSERC/COFI Industrial Research Chair in Forest Products Waste Management. Dr. Hall has been awarded the Willem Rudolfs Medal by the Water Environment Federation (1994) and the I.H. Weldon Award by PAPTAC (2000). Dr. Hall served as Head of the Department of Civil Engineering from 2003 to 2008, and as Dean pro tem. of the Faculty of Applied Science from 2011 to 2013.
Membrane bioreactors for wastewater treatment, membrane fouling, modeling and simulation of wastewater treatment systems, fate of emerging contaminants during secondary treatment, microbial ecology of biological treatment systems.
- S. Grainger, Fu, Y. G., and Hall, E. R., “Biosorption of colour imparting substances in biologically treated pulp mill effluent using Aspergillus niger fungal biomass”, Water, Air and Soil Pollution, vol. 217, no. 1, pp. 233-244, 2011.
- E. R. Hall, Monti, A., and Mohn, W. W., “Production and characterization of foam in the anoxic zone of a membrane enhanced biological phosphorus removal process”, Water Environment Research, vol. 83, no. 2, 2011.
- C. C. V. Chan, Bérubé, P. R., and Hall, E. R., “Relationship Between Types of Surface Shear Stress Profiles and Membrane Fouling”, Water Research, vol. 45, no. 19, pp. 6403-6416, 2011.
- E. R. Hall, Monti, A., and Mohn, W. W., “A comparison of bacterial populations in enhanced biological phosphorus removal processes using membrane filtration or gravity sedimentation for solids-liquid separation”, Water Research, vol. 44, no. 9, pp. 2703-2714, 2010.
- T. Hug, Benedetti, L., Hall, E. R., Johnson, B. R., Morgenroth, E. F., Nopens, I., Rieger, L., Shaw, A., and Vanrolleghem, P. A., “Mathematical models in teaching and training – the mismatch between education and requirements for jobs”, Water Science and Technology, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 745-753, 2009.
- Z. Geng, Hall, E. R., and Bérubé, P. R., “Roles of various mixed liquor constituents in membrane filtration of activated sludge”, Desalination and Water Treatment, vol. 1, pp. 139-149, 2009.
- A. Monti and Hall, E. R., “Comparison of nitrification rates in conventional and membrane-assisted biological nutrient removal processes”, Water Environment Research, vol. 80, no. 6, pp. 497-506, 2008.
- Z. Mahmood-Khan and Hall, E. R., “Quantification of plant sterols in pulp and paper mill effluents”, Water Quality Research Journal of Canada, vol. 43, no. 2/3, pp. 173-181, 2008.
- Z. Geng and Hall, E. R., “A comparative study of fouling-related properties of sludge from conventional and membrane enhanced biological phosphorus removal processes”, Water Research, vol. 41, no. 19, pp. 4329-4338, 2007.
- Z. Geng, Hall, E. R., and Bérubé, P. R., “Membrane fouling mechanisms of a membrane enhanced biological phosphorus removal process”, Journal of Membrane Science, vol. 296, no. 1/2, pp. 93-101, 2007.
- C. C. V. Chan, Bérubé, P. R., and Hall, E. R., “Shear profiles inside gas sparged submerged hollow fiber membrane modules”, Journal of Membrane Science, vol. 297, no. 1/2, pp. 104-120, 2007.