Dr. Obinna Onuaguluchi joined the Department of Civil Engineering as a postdoctoral fellow in 2014. He obtained his Ph.D. from the Eastern Mediterranean University in 2012. As a Research Associate, Dr. Onuaguluchi’s studies over the past years have been centered mainly on material sustainability and the reduction of the negative carbon footprint of the construction industry. In collaboration with industrial partners, the development of durable cement-based applications, reinforced with biomaterial, and the valorization of industrial byproducts as additives in cement composites are the main thrust of his recent research activities.
Utilization of waste materials and industrial by-products in cement composites
Long-term durability performance of cement-based materials
Alkali silica reactivity in cement composites
Smart and sustainable repair materials
Application of macro and nanofibrillated cellulose as internal curing and self-healing agents in cement composites
Non-destructive assessment and structural health monitoring of concrete structures
- Onuaguluchi O., Banthia N., Gourlay K., Minhas G. Moisture transport and steel rebar corrosion in repair composites incorporating Nano-Fibrillated Cellulose (NFC). Construction and Building Materials 2021; 309: 125154,
- Choudhary A., Onuaguluchi O., Banthia N. Exogenous healing in concrete with pH-sustained internal carbonation. Cement and Concrete Composites 2021; 123: 104173
- Banthia N,, Onuaguluchi O. Recycling Scrap Tire-Derived Fibers in Concrete. Transactions of Indian National Academy of Engineering (2021)
- Onuaguluchi O., Banthia N. Alkali silica reaction resistance of cementitious material containing cacl2-blended acrylic polymer emulsion. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering 2020; 32: 04019378.
- Esmaeili J., Aslani H., Onuaguluchi O. Reuse Potentials of Copper Mine Tailings in Mortar and Concrete Composites. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering 2020; 32 (5): 04020084.
- Onuaguluchi O., Banthia N.. Long-term sulfate resistance of cementitious composites containing fine crumb rubber. Cement and Concrete Composites 2019; 104: 103354.
- Onuaguluchi, Nemkumar Banthia. Value-added reuse of scrap tire polymeric fibers in cement-based structural applications. Journal of Cleaner Production 2019; 231: 543-555.Onuaguluchi O, Banthia N. Scrap tire steel fiber as a substitute for commercial steel fiber in cement mortar: Engineering properties and cost-benefit analyses. Resources, Conservation & Recycling 134 (2018) 248–256.
- Onuaguluchi O, Ratu R, Banthia N. The effects of CaCl2-blended acrylic polymer emulsion on the properties of cement mortar. Materials and Structures (2018) 51:50.
- Onuaguluchi O, Banthia N. Infrared thermographic assessment of cement mortar porosity and strength. Journal o Civil Structural Health Monitoring 2017; DOI 10.1007/s13349-017-0230-y.
- Onuaguluchi O, Borges PHR, Bhutta A, Banthia N. Performance o scrap tire steel ibers in OPC and alkali-activated mortars. Materials and Structures 2017; 50: 157
- Onuaguluchi O, Banthia N. Durability performance of scrap tire ibers and its reinforced cement mortar. Materials and Structures 2017; 50: 158.
- Onuaguluchi O, Banthia N. Plant-based natural fibre reinforced cement composites: A review. Cement and Concrete Composites 2016; 68: 96-108.
- Onuaguluchi O, Eren Ö. Copper tailings reuse: environmental and socioeconomic implications for the Lefka-Xeros area of Cyprus. Journal of Cleaner Production, 2016; 112 (1): 420-429.
- Onuaguluchi O, Effects of surface pre-coating and silica fume on crumb rubber-cement matrix interface and cement mortar properties. Journal of Cleaner Production, 2015; 104: 339-345.
- Onuaguluchi O, Panesar DK. Hardened properties of concrete mixtures containing pre-coated crumb rubber and silica fume. Journal of Cleaner Production, 2014; 82: 125-131.
- Onuaguluchi O, Panesar DK, Sain M. Properties of cellulose nanofibre reinforced cement composites. Construction and Building Materials, 2014; 63: 119-124.
- Onuaguluchi O, Eren Ö. Recycling of copper tailings as an additive in cement mortars. Construction and Building Materials, 2012; 37: 723-727.
- Onuaguluchi O, Eren Ö. Durability related properties of mortar and concrete containing copper tailings as a cement replacement material. Magazine of Concrete Research, 2012; 64(11): 1015-1023.
- Onuaguluchi O, Eren Ö. Rheology, strength and durability properties of mortars containing copper tailings as a cement replacement material. Taylor & Francis European Journal of Environmental and Civil Engineering, 2012; 17(1): 19-31.
- Onuaguluchi O, Eren Ö. Copper tailings as a potential additive in concrete: consistency, strength and toxic metal immobilization properties. Indian Journal of Engineering & Materials Sciences, 2012; 19: 79-86.
- Onuaguluchi O, Eren Ö. Cement mixtures containing copper tailings as an additive: Durability properties. Material Research, 2012; 15(6): 1-8.
- Banthia N, Onuaguluchi O, Cui D. Bio-Inspired, Internally Cured Cellulose Fiber Reinforced Concrete for Next Generation Infrastructure. Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Durability and Sustainability of Concrete Structures, 6-7 June 2018, Izmailovo Congress Centre, Moscow, Russia.
- Onuaguluchi O, Banthia N. Reusing Polymeric Scrap Tire Fibers in Cement Composites: A Novel Material Sustainability Approach. Proceedings of the 2nd International Engineering Conference (IEC 2017), 17th – 19th October, 20017, Federal University of Technology, Minna, Nigeria.
- Banthia, N., Onuaguluchi O. Abrasion resistance of concrete reinforced with cellulose fiber. 9th International Symposium on Cement & Concrete (ISCC2017), Wuhan, China, November 1–3, 2017.
- Onuaguluchi O, Eren Ö. Some The effects of copper tailings on acid and chloride resistance of concretes. Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Microstructure-related Durability of Cementitious Composites, 11-13 April 2012, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, pp. 180-185.
- Onuaguluchi O, Eren Ö. Some Properties of cement-copper tailings pastes and mortars. Proccedings of the International Conference on Solid Waste 2011 Moving Towards Sustainable Resource Management, Hong Kong SAR, China, May 2011, pp 276-279
- Onuaguluchi O, Gharagozloo A, Iravanian A. Utilization of Copper Mining Waste as Partial Replacement of Cement in Concrete. Proceedings of the 9th International Congress on Advances in Civil Engineering, (ACE2010 CD), Trabzon, Turkey, September 2010, ACE2010-ENM-042
- Onuaguluchi O, Eren. A Review on the Utilization of By-Products of Biomass Energy Production as Cement Replacement Material in Concrete. Proccedings of the 10th International Conference on Clean Energy (ICCE-2010 CD), Famagusta, N. Cyprus, September 2010, Ref # 8-10.
- Onuaguluchi O, Ozay, G. A General Discussion on the Strengthening of RC Structures. Proceedings of the 8th International Congress on Advances in Civil Engineering (ACE 2008), Famagusta, N. Cyprus, September 2008, Vol. 4, pp 217 – 225.