Dr. Perry Adebar, FCAE, PEng, Professor of Structural Engineering is an expert in the design and evaluation of concrete structures, with a particular interest in the seismic design and evaluation of highrise concrete shear wall buildings. Dr. Adebar is chair of the Standing Committee on Earthquake Design (SC-ED), which writes the seismic design provisions in the National Building Code of Canada. He is also a member and vice-chair of Technical Committee CSA A23.3, which writes the Canadian Standard for the structural design of concrete buildings, is chair of the CSA A23.3 Sub-committee on seismic design, serves on the Board of Directors of the Structural Engineers Association of BC (SEABC), and contributes his structural engineering expertise to the Vancouver’s Heavy Urban Search and Rescue (HUSAR) Team – Canada Task Force 1. As a specialized engineering consultant, Dr. Adebar has been involved in a number of projects to design, evaluate and repair concrete structures. Dr. Adebar served as the Head of UBC Civil Engineering from 2014 to 2019, and as Associate Dean of the Faculty of Applied Science from 1999 to 2008. Professor Adebar received the APEGBC Teaching Award for Excellence in Engineering Education in 2015, the UBC Killam Teaching Prize in 2013, the Meritorious Achievement Award from APEGBC in 2004 and the ACI Structural Research Award in 1998.
Concrete structures: seismic design, high-rise buildings, shear design, evaluation and repair of structures.
- M. Saatcioglu, Tremblay, R., Mitchell, D., Ghobarah, A., Palermo, D., Simpson, R., Adebar, P., Ventura, C. E., and Hong, H., “Performance of steel buildings and non-structural elements during the February 27, 2010 Maule (Chile) Earthquake”, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, In Press.
- P. Adebar, “Compression failure of thin concrete walls during 2010 Chile earthquake: lessons for Canadian design practice”, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, 2013.
- J. Sherstobitoff, Cajiao, P., and Adebar, P., “Repair of 18-Story Shear Wall Building Damaged in 2010 Chile Earthquake”, EERI Earthquake Spectra, vol. 28, no. S1, pp. S335-S348, 2012.
- A. Bohl and Adebar, P., “Plastic Hinge Lengths in High-rise Concrete Shear Walls”, ACI Structural Journal, vol. March-April 2011, 2011.
- P. Adebar, Bazargani, P., Mutrie, J., and Mitchell, D., “Safety of gravity-load columns in shear wall buildings designed to Canadian standard CSA A23.3”, vol. 37, no. 11, pp. 1451-1461, 2010.
- P. Adebar and Rad, B. R., “Seismic Design of High-rise Concrete Walls: Reverse Shear Due to Diaphragms Below Flexural Hinge,”, ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, vol. 135, no. 8, pp. 916-924, 2009.
- A. Esfandiari and Adebar, P., “Shear Strength Evaluation of Concrete Bridge Girders”, ACI Structural Journal, vol. 106, no. 7, pp. 416-426, 2009.
- M. Gerin and Adebar, P., “Simple Rational Model for Reinforced Concrete Subjected to Seismic Shear”, ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, vol. 135, no. 7, pp. 753-761, 2009.
- P. Adebar, Ibrahim, A. A., and Bryson, M., “Test of High-rise Core Wall: Effective Stiffness for Seismic Analysis”, ACI Structural Journal, vol. 104, no. 5, pp. 549-559, 2007.
- P. Adebar, “Drift capacity of walls accounting for shear: the 2004 Canadian code provisions”, Deformation Capacity and Shear Strength of Reinforced Concrete Members Under Cyclic Loading, ACI SP 236, pp. 151-170, 2006.
- P. Adebar, Mutrie, J., and DeVall, R. H., “Ductility of concrete walls: the Canadian seismic design provision 1984 to 2004”, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 1124-1137, 2005.
- P. Adebar, “Discussion of an evaluation of pile cap design methods in accordance with the Canadian design standard”, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 1123-1126, 2004.
- A. M. M. Ibrahim and Adebar, P., “Effective Flexural Stiffness for Linear Seismic Analysis of Concrete Walls”, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 597-607, 2004.