Dr. Siegfried Stiemer completed his Master’s and Doctoral degrees at the University of Stuttgart prior to joining the Department of Civil Engineering in 1981. His research focuses on the development of software tools to aid in the conceptualization, design and analysis of steel structures, the invention of innovative composite structures and the construction of large-scale telescopes. He has advised governments and industry both in Canada and abroad on the design and fabrication of composite and steel structures. Dr. Stiemer’s innovative work in the development of object-oriented finite element analysis software garnered him the prestigious E. Whitman Wright award of the Canadian Society of Civil Engineering (1991) and the Alexander von Humboldt Scholarship (1987).
Steel design, adaptive structures, knowledge management, composite designs, investigations on and modeling of complex structural systems.
- D. Wu, Tesfamariam, S., Stiemer, S. F., and Cui, J., “Comparison of Seismic Safety of RC Frame Building before and after Wenchuan earthquake in Sichuan Province”, ASCE Journal of Constructed Facilities, In Press.
- K. H. Chang, Jang, G. J., Stiemer, S. F., and Loewen, N., “Dynamic Hysteretic Characteristics of the High Strength Steels (POSTEN60, POSTEN80) and Application of Dynamic Hysteresis Model to FE Analysis”, ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, vol. MTENG-185R1, p. 18 pages, 2013.
- K. W. Bae, Park, K. S., Choi, Y. – H., and Stiemer, S. F., “Structural Resistance of Longitudinal Double Plates-to-RHS Connections”, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, vol. 65, pp. 940-947, 2009.
- Y. Zhou and Stiemer, S. F., “Evaluation of Metal Fatigue Problems using Qualitative Reasoning Approach”, Journal of Tsinghua Science and Technology, vol. 13, no. S1, 2008.
- Y. Zhou and Stiemer, S. F., “Engineering Analysis with Uncertainties and Complexities, Using Reasoning Approaches”, ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 353-362, 2007.
- E. Varoglu, Karacabeyli, E., Stiemer, S. F., Ni, C., Buitelaar, M., and Lungu, D., “The Midply Wood Shear Wall Performance in Dynamic Testing”, ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, vol. 133, no. 7, 2007.
- K. W. Bae, Park, K. S., Choi, Y. – H., Moon, T. – S., and Stiemer, S. F., “Behavior of Branch-rotated T-joints with Cold-formed Square Hollow Sections”, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 827-836, 2006.
- M. H. Gedig and Stiemer, S. F., “Decision Tools for the Engineering of Steel Structures”, Electronic Journal of Structural Engineering, vol. 6, 2006.
- E. Varoglu, Karacabeyli, E., Stiemer, S. F., and Ni, C., “The Midply Wood Shear Wall System: Concept and Performance in Static and Cyclic Testing”, ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, vol. 132, no. 9, 2006.
- H. – S. Kang, Lim, S. – H., Moon, T. – S., and Stiemer, S. F., “Experimental study on the behavior of CFT stub columns filled with PCC subject to concentric compressive loads”, International Journal, Steel and Composite Structures, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 17-34, 2005.