The Department of Civil Engineering is committed to creating an equitable, inclusive and diverse community.
As a Department, we include and welcome all members irrespective of backgrounds and identities, and expect all individuals to treat others with respect and courtesy to create an environment where everyone feels they are a valued member.
The EDI Committee would like to acknowledge that we work and learn on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Musqueam People. As we mutually work towards reconciliation and addressing the historical marginalization of underrepresented groups, we continuously reflect on the land and its history.
We hope that through reflection, conversation, and collaboration we can build an inclusive and diverse place where we can mutually learn from each other.
If you would like to share your ideas or feedback with the committee, please email the committee chairs.
The EDI Committee is composed of faculty, staff, and students who are dedicated to creating a welcoming and inclusive culture within the Department of Civil Engineering. The Committee works closely within the Faculty of Applied Science’s EDI framework and works to connect the Civil Engineering community with opportunities, training, resources, and other support.
- Bernard Laval, Department Head
- Donna Seto, Manager, Research & Strategic Initiatives
- Alex Bigazzi, Associate Professor and Associate Head, Undergraduate Programs
- Mahdi Taiebat, Professor and Associate Head, Graduate Programs
- Sheryl Staub-French, Professor and Associate Dean of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Zhengbo Zou, Assistant Professor
- Alex Bush, Manager, Student Services
- Juliette Mollard Thibault, Undergraduate Representative
- Najme Hashempour, Graduate Representative