Admissions FAQ

Application and Program Timelines

Can I apply now?

  • Applications to graduate programs open on July 1st for September intake. There is no January or May intake for our programs. The application deadline is January 31st and all supporting documents must reach us no later than February 15th

I’ve submitted my application, when will I hear back?

  • All applications are reviewed after the January 31st deadline, with decisions being finalized in April.

Is my application complete?

  • Unfortunately, due to the large number of applicants, we cannot respond to individual requests for application statuses.

How long is the program?

  • MEng – minimum of 8 months, maximum of 5 years
  • MASC – minimum of 24 months, maximum of 5 years
  • PhD – minimum of 48 months, maximum of 6 years

How long will my post-graduation work permit (PGWP) be based on the posted program length? (International applicants only)

Eligibility and Application Requirements

Am I eligible to apply for your MEng/MASc/PhD program?

  • As we receive a high volume of inquiries, we are not able to provide individual reviews of eligibility. All relevant information regarding eligibility and application requirements for our graduate programs can be found on our website:

My previous degree has not yet been conferred because I am still attending university, but I plan on finishing soon. Can I still apply?

  • Yes, you are welcome to apply. Please upload your most up-to-date transcript. If you are successful in your application and recommended for admission you will receive a conditional offer letter; you must then submit two copies of the official completed transcripts.

Can I apply directly to the PhD program from my Bachelor’s degree?

  • No, if you do not already have a Master’s degree we require that you apply for the MASc program.

I do not meet the minimum requirements; can I still apply for the program?

  • Due to the high volume of fully-qualified applicants, your chances of being admitted if you do not meet the minimum requirements for GPA and/or IELTS/TOEFL (if required) are significantly reduced. However, you are still welcome to apply.

My degree is not in Civil Engineering, can I still apply?

  • You are still welcome to apply if you do not have a degree in Civil Engineering, however, the likelihood that you are admitted may be reduced unless there is a clear connection between your completed degree and Civil Engineering.

Do I need to find a supervisor before applying?

  • It is not necessary to contact a supervisor before applying. Supervisors can be determined after an offer of admission is recommended.

Do you accept English Language Proficiency tests other than the IELTS or TOEFL?

  • No, if you are required to submit language proficiency test scores, they must be either IELTS or TOEFL scores.

My degree was taught in English, do I still need to provide the results of an English Language Proficiency Test (ie. IELTS or TOEFL)?

  • You will need to submit either IELTS or TOEFL test scores if you do not have transcripts from one of these countries linked here:
  • If your degree was taught in English and it clearly states on the transcript that the medium of instruction at the institution was English, then we do not require an IELTS/TOEFL. We do not accept separate letters from your university stating the medium of instruction is English.
  • An unofficial IELTS or TOEFL test is acceptable for pre-admission only. Your admission into UBC is contingent upon receiving official IELTS or TOEFL scores.

Where/how do I submit required documents?

Is my application complete?

  • As we receive a high volume of applications, our priority is ensuring your application is processed into the system. We do not provide individual confirmations or updates about the status of your application or whether or not we have received all of your documents.

What is the cost for the program?

Can you waive my application fee?

  • Applicants whose citizenship and correspondence address are located in the world’s 50 least developed countries, as declared by the United Nations are automatically waived by the system.
  • Applicants from any other country who are applying to an MASc or a PhD who have secured a supervisor from our department can arrange with the supervisor for an application fee waiver.
  • Applications to the MEng program are not eligible for an application fee waiver.

Application Troubleshooting

My referee did not receive an email inviting them to submit their reference letter. Can you please help?

  • On rare occasions our automated system will fail to generate a referee link. Our apologies if no link appears above – if you are the applicant, please use the “Send Reminder” button, which will send an email containing the necessary link. If you are the referee, please contact the applicant and have them use the “Send Reminder” button.