Step 1: Create the application
- The application system can be accessed here. Note that applications for September intake open in July of the preceding year.
- The application deadline for all Civil Engineering programs is January 31st. Currently we only offer September intake. Details regarding the application fees can be found here.
- In order to avoid any issues with your application, please carefully follow the detailed instructions that are found in the online application.
Step 2: Upload scanned copies of supporting documents
- Prior to submitting the application you must upload PDF versions of the required documents. Originals will be requested only if you are offered admission.
- Please note that all required scanned documents must be uploaded no later than February 15th, two weeks after the application deadline.
- Transcripts must be uploaded as a single PDF file for each post-secondary institution attended.
- If you are a UBC student then you do NOT need to provide the UBC transcript with your application as we are able to access your transcripts internally and add them to your file.
- A minimum of three references is required for the MASC and PhD programs.
- For MEng applicants, only one reference letter is required.
- References should be requested from individuals who are prepared to provide a report on your academic ability and qualifications.
- In the online application system, applicants are asked to provide an email address for each referee. Please note, that we are unable to accept e-mails from referees using Hotmail, Yahoo, GMail, or other free e-mail accounts.
- A unique link will be emailed to each referee, allowing the referee to log in to a secure site and submit an online reference or upload a reference document as an attachment.
Statement of Intent
- Please provide a maximum of one page in PDF format detailing your specific area of academic interest, i.e., the research topic you want to work on.
- Describe your past education and other experiences, and how they have prepared you to be successful in a career in civil engineering.
- For MEng applicants, a Statement of Intent should NOT be submitted.
- Upload Your CV in PDF format detailing your education, work experiences, and competencies, including publications, if applicable.
- All PhD applicants should submit, as an addendum to the CV, a formal publication list, including all papers published and conference presentations made.
English Proficiency Test Scores
- If you need to submit an English test score then please note that your official score report should be submitted directly from the Testing Centre.
- Please use the following code for an official score report request: Institution Code: 0965/ Department Code: 65.
If you are offered admission, the offer letter will indicate which original hard-copy documents you need to submit.
- All transcripts must arrive at UBC in envelopes that have been sealed and endorsed by the issuing institution. If the official transcript does not indicate the degree name and the degree conferral date, then two official copies of the degree certificate are required.
- Current and former UBC students do not need to submit official UBC transcripts as part of their graduate application package. However, they are still responsible for submitting transcripts from all other post-secondary institutions that you have attended, e.g., exchange year, transfer year, etc.
Please note that any document submitted to UBC becomes the property of UBC and will not be returned.